Thursday, August 25, 2011

Self: You Have to Get Up Early to Get a Little Time for Yourself

I used to live alone and I loved it.  Never lonely, I enjoyed the hours of peace and quiet and the complete freedom to do what wanted when I wanted. Luckily, when I got married, my husband also appreciated having some time to himself so neither of us took offense when we wanted ( or needed) to be alone.  Then, we had children. And I have not been truly alone since.  It was quite a transition when even going to the bathroom became a family affair.  Luckily, I am an early bird and have found the Zen of getting up early.
Often, I wake up just before my alarm is about to go off.  The house is sleeping.  Only the dog, as if by some sixth sense, realizes that I have opened my eyes. I lay in bed for just a minute because I don’t want to waste a moment of this opportunity. With the coffee brewing, I quickly take care of my must do’s; walk the dog, throw in a load of laundry, feed the animals. I want to maximize my “me” time. After a half hour of exercise, I am finally able to do what I want to do. 
All is still and quiet. There is no T.V., no radio, only silence. I can think. I can plan. I can daydream. Some days I read the paper, some days I write, other days I get into my office to do a little work.  The point is I get to do whatever I want to do.  My husband isn’t asking where his clean socks are, my girls aren’t telling me they are hungry. For a few precious minutes I am alone and I try to relish every second.  It is my time to reconnect with who I am and recharge myself for the day ahead.  This little bit of freedom puts a smile on my face and a positive spin on the day. When I hear footsteps on the stairs and reach out for a morning hug and kiss, I’m ready to get everyone else up and ready for a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment